Jun 06, 2023  
University Catalog 2018-2019 
University Catalog 2018-2019 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Civil Engineering, M.S.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Index of Academic Degrees, Certificates and Programs Listed by Degree

The Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering at Cal State L.A. prepares students for careers in specialized areas of Civil Engineering and for further study at the doctoral level.

Admission to the Program

Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field with a GPA of 3.0 or better.  A promising applicant with a GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 may be admitted as a special action student. Prerequisite courses may be required for students with a non-civil engineering bachelor’s degree, for students from non-ABET accredited civil engineering programs, or for special action students.  All students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 to remain in good standing in the program.

Requirements for the Degree (30 units)

A minimum of 30 units is required for the degree, with at least 15 units from 5000-level civil engineering courses, excluding CE 5980. A thesis or comprehensive examination is required. A student’s program must be approved by the civil engineering department before enrolling in any course.

Advanced Mathematics (3 units)

MATH 4021 Advanced Mathematics I for Engineers and Physicists; or ME 4090 Mechanical Engineering Analysis is required and must be fulfilled prior to advancement to candidacy.

Electives in Civil Engineering (18-27 units)

Select from 4000 and 5000-level civil engineering courses, with adviser approval.

Electives in Related Fields (0-9 units)

Select from 4000 and 5000-level courses outside civil engineering, with adviser approval.

Comprehensive Examination or Thesis (0 or 3 units)

CE 5960 Comprehensive Examination (0)  or CE 5990 Thesis (1-3)  (3 units)

Students who select the comprehensive examination should expect to take it the semester they complete all course work in their program and must comply with college and departmental requirements. The comprehensive examination can be attempted a maximum of two times.

Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement

Students are required to satisfy the graduation writing assessment requirement (GWAR) by passing the writing proficiency examination (WPE).  Students selecting this option must register for the WPE (listed as UNIV 4000 ) no later than the add deadline for the  second semester they are enrolled in the graduate program. Students with earned doctorate or masters degrees or those who have passed a similar examination at an accredited institution must see the department and may petition to earn credit for UNIV 4000.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Index of Academic Degrees, Certificates and Programs Listed by Degree