Aug 12, 2020
The Master of Social Work degree prepares graduate students for entry into advanced and specialized social work practice where they will be able to provide effective services to individual, families, group, organizations and communities.
The MSW program offers a 2 year or a 3 year option and a 1 year advanced option. The two year or three year options can be completed at the main Cal State L.A. campus and the One-Year program at the downtown Cal State LA campus.|
Admission Requirements for the One-Year Advanced Standing Program (ASP) at the Downtown Cal State LA campus
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited college or university.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA).
- Three recommendation letters, one must be from each of the following:
- Field instructor or field supervisor from BASW internship
- Academic BASW professor
- Completion of all 3 prerequisites with a “C” or better grade at the time the application is submitted;
- Research Methods and Statistics (introductory to statistics class) and 8 quarter/6 semester units of upper division social science courses;
- Work or volunteer experience in social services or human services is highly desired.
Admission Requirements for 2-Year or 3-Year Options
Applicants must first apply to the University and receive their Campus Identification Number before applying to the MSW Program. Admission to the School does not guarantee admission to the College of Health and Human Services and/or the University. Admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the School and/or College. In addition to an evaluation of the applicant’s potential for advanced practice in the profession of social work, the minimum requirements for admission are:
- Acceptable bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- Minimum 2.75 grade point average in the last 90 quarter units (60 semester units);
- Completion of a course in research and/or statistics and 8 quarter units (6 semester units) of upper division social science courses with a grade of “C” or better; and
- Good academic standing at the last graduate college or university attended.
In addition, the School of Social Work Admissions Committee is guided by the following criteria:
- Voluntary and/or paid experience in general, and in social services in particular;
- Professional promise, which includes social consciousness and commitment to the values of the profession and the specific mission of the program; and
- Personal readiness, motivation, ability to communicate effectively, and ability to relate as an effective helping person to individual, organizational and societal needs.
Degree Requirements for the Advanced Standing Program (ASP)
The One-Year program is only available at the Cal State L.A. Downtown campus and other remote sites. Students will begin their program in July with 6 semester units of Bridge coursework in the summer prior to the beginning of the fall semester. Upon a successful completion of the summer Bridge Program, students will continue to the remaining two semesters (fall and spring semesters) taking 30 units of courses indicated below.
A total of 36 units are required.
Summer Bridge Courses (6 units)
Spring Semester (15 units)
Students must select 2 electives for a total of 6 elective units to fulfill required units.
Degree Requirements for Two Year Option
A total of 60 units are required.
Foundation 1st Year Courses (30 units)
Advanced 2nd Year Courses (30 units)
Approved Electives (6 units)
Students complete 6 units of approved electives.
Degree Requirements for Three Year Option
A total of 60 units are required.
Foundation 1st Year Courses (18 units)
Foundation/Advanced 2nd Year Courses (24 units)
Advanced 3rd Year Courses (18 units)
*Students complete 6 units of approved electives.