Jul 19, 2024  
University Catalog 2023-2024 
University Catalog 2023-2024 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Pupil Personnel Services and Child Welfare and Attendance: School Psychology

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program Indices, Directories, and Rosters

Admission to the Program

The program does not routinely offer the credential separately from the masters degree because most career opportunities require the degree. Candidates who already have a Master of Science Degree in Counseling and wish to earn this credential without the accompanying degree should inquire at the Division office about current policy regarding such candidacy, which is based upon available resources and space in required courses.

Program Requirements & Internship

Course requirements for this credential are identical with those listed for the M.S. in Counseling: Option in School Psychology  except that an oral exit examination may be substituted for the comprehensive examination.

This credential allows a student to accept employment as a School Psychology Intern while completing advanced coursework toward the School Psychology option of the M.S. degree in Counseling. Students are not admitted to the School Psychology Internship unless they have met all requirements for the M.S. degree in Counseling: Option in School Psychology, except for the courses COUN 5340 , and COUN 5380 , in addition to the requirements described in their School Psychology Internship Manual. Once these requirements are met, the student is eligible for the School Psychology Internship Credential. These remaining courses are taken concurrently with internship (or before) along with regular supervisory meetings with the student’s University supervisor.

This internship credential allows a student to accept employment as a school counseling intern while completing advanced coursework toward the pupil personnel services credential with advanced authorizations in school counseling and child welfare and attendance.

To be admitted into the school counseling internship credential program, students must:

  1. Meet all University, college, and division admission requirements.
  2. Be admitted to one of the M.S. options leading to the Pupil Personnel Services credential (PPS); Behavior Intervention Case Management (BICM), Counseling and Educational Leadership (CEL) or School-Based Family Counseling (SBFC).
  3. Obtain a school district letter of appointment as a school counselor or child welfare and attendance counselor (to be employed at least 50%).
  4. Assure that a written formal “Internship Agreement” between the school district and Cal State LA is on file with both agencies.
  5. Have the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) and the Writing Proficiency Examination (WPE) or approved alternate criteria for the WPE.
  6. Sign a written agreement to make regular progress while serving as an intern, toward fulfilling all requirements for the counseling credential (PPS) and Child Welfare and Attendance authorization (CWA).
  7. Must have completed with a grade of B or better a minimum of 19 units in the following classes: COUN 5016 ,  
  8. Must have completed 6 units of practicum in the following classes: COUN 5307 COUN 5230 , and/or Depending on the option selected, the following courses are recommended:
  • Behavior Intervention Case Management - COUN 517 and 593
  • School-Based Family Counseling - COUN 523 (6)
  • Counseling and Educational Leadership - COUN 507 and 517
  1. Must have completed a minimum of 18 quarter units in residency by taking required classes.
  2. Must hold a California Certificate of Clearance.
  3. Must enroll in minimum of three (3) units of fieldwork (COUN 5286 ) during each quarter of work as an intern.


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program Indices, Directories, and Rosters