Studying Theatre at California State University, Los Angeles offers students the opportunity to discover and develop their own unique voices in a collaborative, diverse, inclusive, community-centered, and enriching learning environment.
Cal State LA resides in the center of the entertainment industry and offers students opportunities to engage with Los Angeles’ rich artistic community as well as across disciplines within the University. Innovative and wide-ranging production and performance opportunities promote student learning within the creative process. Through coursework and performances, our students have the opportunity to explore the theatrical world from many varying perspectives.
The program offers two options:
Department policy requires that all undergraduate Theatre majors make themselves available for participation in scheduled department productions.
A total of 6 units of production/performance participation is required for each option. 4 of these units must be upper-division.
- For Performance option students, this requirement is met through performance in, understudying, directing, dramaturgical work, stage management or assisting on a department production or by special assignment approved by the faculty.
- For Design and Production option students, this requirement is met through Technical, Production, Design or Assistant Design work, Prop Master, Painter, directing, dramaturgical work, stage management or assisting on a department production or by special assignment approved by the faculty.
Students in the Theatre major may not take TA 1520 to satisfy GE C2. Incoming transfer students have already taken a GE C2 equivalent theatre course will not be required to take TA 1500.
- Total Units in the Major (including option): 53
- Core requirements: 29
- Option requirements: 24
- General Education Units: 48
- Free Electives Units 19
- Total Units Required for the B.A. Theatre Degree: 120