Aug 02, 2021
The Integrated BS/MS program in Civil Engineering provides an accelerated route for academically excellent upper-division students in the BS degree program to complete the MS degree program while simultaneously completing the BS requirements. The main objectives of the program is to provide an accelerated route to a graduate degree, with simultaneous awarding of both bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Simplified application process
- BS and MS coursework can be taken concurrently
- 6 common 4000-level elective units between BS and MS programs
- Access to graduate student facilities
- TA appointments (if available)
- The scheduling flexibility provided by the program enables students to complete the BS and MS degrees efficiently.
Admission to the Integrated BS/MS Program
The eligibility requirements for admission to the Integrated BS/MS program are:
- Students must have completed a minimum of 90 semester units of coursework.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 semester units.
- Students must have completed the CE foundation required courses: CE 3030 /ME 3030 ,CE 3120 /ME 3120 , CE 3140 / CE 3200 / CE 3600 , CE 3610 , CE 3660 , CE 3680 , CE 3700 , CE 3840 , and CE 3860 ) in the BS with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Students must have completed the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).
Students are selected by a faculty committee based on prior academic performance and other measures of professional promise.
Applications for the Civil Engineering Integrated BS/MS program are only accepted in the fall semester. Applications must be submitted two months in advance of the desired starting semester.
- Application in MS Word doc format.
- Two letters of recommendation in MS Word doc format (at least one of which should be from a Civil Engineering faculty member).
After review by a faculty committee and if the application is accepted, a Graduate Degree Study Plan will be prepared and approved. The formal degree plan will specify the six units of common electives to be listed on the BS and the MS program.
- Successful completion of all requirements for the BS (129 units) and the MS (30 units) degrees with all overlap of 6 units in electives.
- A minimum 2.0 GPA for courses counting towards the bachelor’s degree and a minimum 3.0 GPA required for courses counting towards the master’s degree.
- The degrees awarded when requirements for both the bachelor’s and the master’s degrees are met by the student and recorded by the Registrar’s Office. Both degrees are awarded in the same semester.
- Students who select the Thesis Option must be enrolled during the term that they submit their approved graduate thesis/project to the Library.
- The student applies to graduate in the integrated program (BS and MS) by submitting two graduation applications. These applications should be submitted at least two semestrs prior to graduation.
- If a student fails to complete the requirements for the master’s degree, the student may petition to withdraw from the Integrated Program, and the bachelor’s degree will be granted when all the requirements for that degree are met.
Visit Civil Engineering, B.S. page; Civil Engineering, M.S. page