Regulations, policies, and procedures governing the program for the Preliminary Administrative Services credential, available from the division office, were developed in accordance with guidelines developed by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The program is based on a set of competencies necessary for successful performance as a California school administrator.
Admission to the Program
In addition to general university requirements for admission to graduate study, applicants to the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential program must meet the following requirements:
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- A 2.75 grade point average in the last 60 semester units attempted.
- Positive review of application materials and assignment of permanent advisor.
- Two years of successful teaching experience in K-12 schools with a California Professional Teaching Credential or any equivalent credential approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- Successful completion of the Writing Proficiency Examination (WPE) or any equivalent inventory approved by the university.
- Two (2) positive recommendation letters, including one from a practicing school administrator.
- Meeting of admission standards developed by the Division of Applied and Advanced Studies in Education (refer to the EDAD student handbook).
- Orientation/screening interviews with program faculty.
- A program of study approved by the advisor and division chair.
Upon completion of the program, receiving division recommendation and submitting an application and attendant fees, candidates receive a Certificate of Eligibility for the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential. The certificate authorizes one to seek initial employment as an administrator, but does not authorize ongoing administrative service. The certificate of eligibility is converted to the Preliminary Administrative Services credential upon confirmation of employment as an administrator for all administrative and supervisory services from prekindergarten through grade 12 in California public schools. This credential is valid for 5 years and must be replaced by a professional administrative services credential before it expires.
Minimum Credential Requirements (54 units)
The following requirements are subject to change without notice. Students should consult the division for current requirements. Minimum requirements for issuance of the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential include:
- Residency Requirement: At least 22 semester units for the Preliminary Administrative Services credential program must be completed in residence at Cal State LA.
- All courses for completing the credential must be completed within 7 years from when the first course is taken.
- Thirty-six units of acceptable postbaccalaureate course work as listed below.
- Completion of the required courses.
- A passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
- Three years of successful full-time classroom teaching experience or equivalent K-12 school experiences that are approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- Completion and successful presentation of a professional digital portfolio.
- A valid California Professional Teaching Credential or any equivalent credential approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.