May 20, 2024  
University Catalog 2019-2020 
University Catalog 2019-2020 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Appendix G - Availability of Institutional and Financial Assistance Information

The following information concerning student financial assistance may be obtained from the Center for Student Financial Aid, located in Student Affairs 124, phone (323) 343- 6260:

1. A description of the federal, state, institutional, local, and private student financial assistance programs available to students who enroll at Cal State L.A.;

2. For each aid program, a description of procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance, student eligibility requirements, criteria for selecting recipients from the group of eligible applicants, and criteria for determining the amount of a student’s award;

3. A description of the rights and responsibilities of students receiving financial assistance, including federal Title IV student assistance programs, and criteria for continued student eligibility under each program;

4. The satisfactory academic progress standards that students must maintain for the purpose of receiving financial assistance and criteria by which a student who has failed to maintain satisfactory progress may reestablish eligibility for financial assistance;

5. The method by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to students and the frequency of those disbursements;
6. The way the school provides for Pell-eligible students to obtain or purchase required books and supplies by the seventh day of a payment period and how the student may opt out;

7. The terms of any loan received as part of the student’s financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule, and the necessity for repaying loans;
8. The general conditions and terms applicable to any employment provided as part of the student’s financial aid package;
9. The terms and conditions of the loans students receive under the Direct Loan and Perkins Loan Programs;
10. The exit counseling information the school provides and collects for student borrowers; and
11. Contact information for ombuds offices available for disputes concerning federal, institutional and private loans.

Information concerning the cost of attending Cal State L.A. is available from the Center for Student Financial Aid, located in Student Affairs 124, phone (323) 343-6260, and includes tuition and fees; the estimated costs of books and supplies; estimates of typical student room, board, and transportation costs; and, if requested, additional costs for specific programs.

Information concerning the refund policies of Cal State L.A. for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of institutional charges is available from Disbursement Office, located in Administration 128, phone (323) 343-3630.

Information concerning policies regarding the return of federal Title IV student assistance funds as required by regulation is available from the Center for Student Financial Aid, located in Student Affairs 124, phone (323) 343-6260.

Information regarding special facilities and services available to students with disabilities may be obtained from the Office of Students with Disabilities, located in Student Affairs 115, phone (323) 343-3140 (TDD 3139).

Information concerning Cal State L.A. policies, procedures, and facilities for students and other to report criminal actions or other emergencies occurring on campus may be obtained from Public Safety Office, North End of Lot 1, (323) 343-3700.

Information concerning Cal State L.A., annual campus security report and annual fire safety report may be obtained from North End of Lot 1, phone (323) 343-3700.

Information concerning the prevention of drug and alcohol abuse and rehabilitation programs may be obtained from the Health Promotions and Education Center at the Student Health Center, (323) 343-3340.

Information regarding student retention and graduation rates at Cal State L.A., and, if available, the number and percentage of students completing the program in which the student is enrolled or has expressed interest may be obtained from the Institutional Research Office, ADM 710, (323) 343-2730.

Information concerning athletic opportunities available to male and female students and the financial resources and personnel that Cal State L.A. dedicates to its men’s and women’s teams may be obtained from the Executive Director for Athletics, Daryl Gross, P.E. 212, (323) 343-5308.

Information concerning teacher preparation programs at Cal State L.A., including the pass rate on teacher certification examinations, may be obtained from the Associate Dean of Student Services, Charter College of Education, (323) 434-4300.

Information concerning grievance procedures for students who feel aggrieved in their relationships with the university, its policies, practices and procedures, or its faculty and staff may be obtained from Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Judicial Affairs Officer, (323) 343-3100.

Information concerning student activities that Cal State LA provides, must be easily accessible on

Information concerning student body diversity at Cal State LA, including the percentage of enrolled, full-time students who are (1) male, (2) female, (3) Pell Grant recipients, and (4) self-identified members of a specific racial or ethnic group, must be obtained from Mariel Mulet, Director, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, Administration Building, Room 606, Phone (323) 343-3040.

The federal Military Selective Service Act (the “Act”) requires most males residing in the United States to present themselves for registration with the Selective Service System within thirty days of their eighteenth birthday. Most males between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered. Males born after December 31, 1959, may be required to submit a statement of compliance with the Act and regulations in order to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance under specified provisions of existing federal law. In California, students subject to the Act who fail to register are also ineligible to receive any need-based student grants funded by the state or a public postsecondary institution.

Selective Service registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office, and many high schools have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. Applicants for financial aid can also request that information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be used to register them with the Selective Service. Information on the Selective Service System is available and the registration process may be initiated online at