The Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre Arts and Dance is designed for students who plan to engage in careers, which utilize skills in theatre and dance.
Department policy requires that all undergraduate Theatre Arts and Dance majors make themselves available for participation in scheduled department productions.
The total number of units required for the Bachelor of Arts degree in Theater Arts and Dance, is 120 units. Undergraduate students must complete 48 units of General Education as described in the Catalog.
Program requires that Theatre Arts and Dance majors with options in Performance and Design & Production take TA 1520 as their lower division GE C2 course. GE certified Transfer students without TA 1520 equivalent must take TA 1520 as a program entrance requirement within the first two semesters.
Total Units in the Major (all three options): 53
General Education Units: 48
Additional Units: 19
Total Units Required for the B.A. Degree: 120
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program, students will:
- Participate in the creation, analysis and presentation of public performances.
- Develop a structured approach to the use of languages in writing for and about performance.
- Demonstrate knowledge and processes such as performing, playwriting, directing, design, management and technical operations related to stage productions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the historical and cultural dimensions of performance, including the works of leading playwrights, performers, choreographers, directors, designers, and philosophers, past and present.
- Examine, identify and apply contemporary theories and practices of performing arts.
- Make informed assessments of quality in performance material and works.
- Develop a clear understanding of the collaboration between performance, spectator and production.
- Develop effective skills in verbal and visual communication.
- Demonstrate competence in the skills necessary to produce performance at a professional level.
- Demonstrate skills in current technologies as these relate to performance, communication and research.
Theatre Arts and Dance Majors are required to complete lower division department production participations. These assignments will be required as corequisites to the 1310-1330 sequence and validated by registration in TA 1300 . Performance and Design and Production majors will complete three lower division participations and Dance majors will complete one.
Additional upper division production/performance participation is required from each option.